
4 cups whole wheat flour - I prefer to grind my flour, I use hard white wheat (spoon flour into the measuring cup and level it off)
2 Tablespoons wheat gluten
1/2 teaspoon dough conditioner/enhancer
2 teaspoons salt (may use 1 1/2 tsp)
2 1/2 Tablespoons Canola oil (if you have unsweetened applesauce, use 1 T oil, 1 1/2 T applesauce)
2 Tablespoons honey
1 3/4 cup water
1 Tablespoon yeast (scant)
Put all these, in order and without the yeast, into the bread pan of your bread machine. Put the bread pan into the machine and select “Quick Bake” “XL” “Light” and press start. Then measure the yeast into the handy yeast dispenser at the top. Press Start.
Dough Conditioner (optional, makes bread rise taller and have a softer texture)
¾ cup lecithin
3 Tablespoons ascorbic acid
2 Tablespoons ginger
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
Store in air tight container at room temperature.
Cinnamon and Walnut Bread Version
Just add a heaping tablespoon of cinnamon and a couple of handfuls of walnuts, chopped. It smells heavenly when baking.
I use this Wheat Grinder (BlendTec Kitchen Mill - Grain and Flour Mill)and this Bread Machine (Panasonic SD-YD250 Automatic Bread Maker). You can get bulk Wheat Gluten here.
2 comments:
Okay, I'm totally going to try this. I love homemade bread, and have a mixer that will knead it and everything, but when I bought my gluten, it didn't say how much to use! Now I know. Also, where do I buy lecithin? A health food store? (small town, few options, but I do make it to the city often enough).
We're trying to eat healthier and on a tighter budget. I have the feeling I'm going to spend a lot of time reading on your blog.
I believe Amazon.com is a good place to buy lecithin. Also, you can pick up a box of dough enhancer sold at health food stores or online instead of making your own dough conditioner/enhancer....or like in our ward (yes i'm lds) we just had someone order a bunch of the ingredients and split it all between about 30 women, coming to about 2.50 a batch. make sense?
Post a Comment