Thursday, March 5, 2009
I need suggestions!
I don't eat enough vegetables. I've always known this, but recently I have really wanted to change it since the baby I'm carrying is going without too. I try to have fresh vegetables cut up in the fridge, but when I go to get something to eat, the apple or grapes right next to it looks so much better. If I do grab the vegetables I always grab the ranch at the same time, which isn't a very healthy way to eat them. I know Im supposed to be posting healthy tips/fact/recipes, but I was hoping others had suggestions of how to prepare vegatables so they are healthy and tasty. I have to also keep in mind my schedule, I work full time at nights and go to school part time during the day, so recipes that need alot of preparation time are not practical for me. Anyways, I appreciate anyone's input!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
one thing i found insighful from a friend was the fact that you need to realize when you change your eating habits you are probably used to eating lots of sugar etc. so when you start to eat veggies etc you have to retrain your palate to this new taste that isn't so sweet.
soy beans, bell peppers, carrots, celery, broccoli, sweet potatoes...are so of my fav. there are things like eggplant that i eat and i really have to force myself cause the texture isn't my fav but i don't mind the taste and it's good for me!
i'll try to think of more tips/recipes....
I don't know, I kinda think that even though you grab the dip with the veggies, at least you still get the nutrients from the vegetables. The pre natal vitamin also gives you and the baby the needed nutrients,(and always meets the baby's needs before yours) but sometimes I think that when our bodies crave those fruits instead, they might be telling us that is what you and or the baby needs at the time. Just a thought. I never did well with vegetables either while pregnant.
I agree with Lisa, about re-training your palate. But also, I would say you should try to redefine your dinner. Instead of centering around meat, center around a whole grain or vegetable. You'll find you get a lot more veggies in there (onions, tomatoes, peppers, etc) if you cook that way.
Try an easy lentil and veggie soup for dinner and reheat it for lunch with some whole grain bread. Or black bean soup. Veggie stir fry with lots of ginger and garlic over brown rice.
Try mild pico de gallo heaped on tortilla chips. Lots of veggies in there.
I love baked sweet potatoes as a snack, or even stirred into oatmeal for breakfast. Mmmmm.
I would also say you may need to throw your idea of "snack" out. If raw veggies don't appeal to you (though you could dip in hummus instead of ranch dressing for a healthier alternative)... think of a snack as a small meal and eat leftovers from dinner.
There's nothing wrong at all with fresh fruit, but variety is important. Maybe try eating a serving of two different veggies each day. Do it because it's good for you and you'll likely find soon you're enjoying it. Try throwing fresh spinach in a fruit smoothie. You can toss a ton in there without even tasting a difference. Promise.
I actually disagree with the above commenter about prenatal vitamins. They prevent deficiency of the 10 identified essential vitamins and some minerals, but they cannot and should not replace a healthy diet. Remember that your calories have to come from somewhere, so if you're not eating healthy foods.. you're eating stuff that's bad for your body and a pill won't help that.
Good luck! Just the fact that you're concerned about this means you're likely doing a pretty good job already! :)
I absolutely agree with Anne about adding spinach to fruit smoothies. It is amazing how much you can add in without noticing much of a change in flavor. They are so quick and easy to make. I basically throw everything into my blender while I clean up and do the dishes. They also store well in the fridge, so I make them the night before, so I can grab it as I go out the door in the morning!
Another way to help with veggie intake is by eating them first at meals. When I was transitioning my taste buds from sugars to healthy foods, I would try to eat the veggies first. This way I knew I would be sure to get their nutrients before I got too full on other items. Besides, veggies taste so much better when you are hungry!
Post a Comment